You may recall a previous post where I commended companies’ PR as they answer children’s letters and advice on the company.
BMW are my next commended company, after a letter from Ben, a reader of Jalopnik – a website for car lovers.
Ben wrote in explaining that his nephew had come up with his dream car, but he wanted someone to create it so he could see how his image looked, and not just in his imagination. The letter read like this:
Last night my 4-year-old Jalop of a nephew Eli and I had a serious conversation about the car he wants to build. I know there are a lot of talented artists out there in the Jalopnik commentariat, and I would like to ask them all if they would consider drawing up their “Artist’s Conception” of the car according to the carefully considered specifications he came up with. I would just love to give him a tangible expression of what his awesome imagination came up with. If anyone is particularly ambitious, I have access to a 3D printer so if someone puts together a solid .stl I could even print it for him (and a copy for whoever puts it together).
So here are the specs he came up with, with surprisingly little input from myself:
– It’s a BMW
– 42 wheels, and of course 42-wheel drive
– It is powered by 19 Porsche engines, each producing 459 horsepower. I think they will need to be water-cooled turbocharged boxer 6s. This was entirely his own idea, but I commended his choice of using boxer engines for a multi-engine setup since they will stack so well.
– The engines are all linked to a single transmission. He didn’t specify, but I think viscous couplings for the inputs would probably be a good idea.
– Power output is subdivided to all those wheels via a series of limited-slip differentials
– There are seats and three steering wheels, and all three can drive the car at the same time.
– The trunk is full of toys and you can play in it
The model name that I came up with is “4219ELi” – 42 wheels, 19 engines, an Extra Long wheelbase, and fuel injection.
BMW later on their Facebook page posted the following message:
Eli, we think you might be onto something. Our marketing department worked a little photoshop magic to bring your dream to life. We’ll be sure to pass this on to our product designers. Thanks for sharing your idea and for being a BMW fan.
The image appeared on BMW USA’s Facebook page, and is another great example of brand PR engaging in consumers and proving to be a loyal brand.